What is a Dry Herb Vape Pen?
Dry herb vape pens are portable, hand-held vaporizers that convert herbs into vapor. To be precise, the active ingredients of herbal material convert into vapor. A dry herb pen uses convection and conduction heating to heat the ingredients to the boiling point and beyond. As a result, the ingredients are vaporized and can be inhaled by the user. However, a herbal vape pen does not heat materials to the ignition point. In other words, a vaporizer does not burn and that means that there is no smoke.
Herb vaporizers are rapidly growing in popularity. Not only can people avoid smoking, but the technology allows you to adjust the temperature settings of the heating element and control vapor quality and intensity. Vaporizers for dry herb take advantage of technology found in the more common e-liquid vape pens you have the ability to heat your aromatherapy dry herbs in the device without combustion.
Medical and recreational cannabis is legal in a growing number of states and countries. Indeed, dry herb vaping is the preferred method for accessing the active ingredients. Smoking is wasteful and inefficient. But herbal vaping is about more than marijuana. For example, herb vape pens vaporize hemp to access CBD. Lavender, sage, lemongrass serve as additional examples of herbs that can be vaped. So get rid of your rolling papers and lighters. Get an herbal vaporizer. Put out the fire and join the 21st century!
Herb Vaporizer Components
Standard dry herb vaporizer pens consist of 3 main sections with each serving a specific purpose:
- Rechargeable Battery/MOD – The rechargeable battery is the largest component of a dry herb vaporizer. The size of the battery directly corresponds with how much power a battery can store. The storage capacity is measured in milliamp hours, or mAh. Furthermore, the battery is controlled by a microprocessor. The processor typically provides the option of preset temperature settings or precision temperature control. If connecting a dry herb atomizer to a vape mod, the same temperature adjustments can be made using the variable wattage settings on a box mod.
- Heating Chamber – The heating chamber is located either at the top of the battery or at the bottom of the device. Heating chambers use conduction or convection vaporizer heating. Often a combination of both. A dry herb atomizer connects to a vape mod via a 510 threaded connection. The heating chamber holds the dry herb. Commonly, the chamber has a coil (producing the heat), followed by a plate/mesh and a ceramic dish on top (to hold your herb).
- Mouthpiece / Tip - Located at the top of the device, the mouthpiece/tip doesn't really have any special features. Its main purpose is to provide a decent amount of space between your lips and the heating chamber; ensuring when you use the device the vapor is not too hot.
How does a Dry Herb Vape Pen Work?
The functional process of a dry herb vape pen is simple. The herb is heated to the point of vaporization. The ideal temperature for vaporization depends on the herb and the desired flavor and intensity. Vaporization temperatures range from 350F to over 500F. The higher the temperature, the more intense the vapor. For more of a mellow session and flavor, choose a lower temperature. Vaporizer technology puts you in total control.
The main process of a dry herb pen is as follows; you pack the chamber, heat the device and take a hit, then repeat as necessary.
Although some of the technology is the same, the process of dry herb vaping is significantly different from standard vaping. Here's a breakdown of using a dry herb pen and how to correctly use them:
How To Use A Herbal Vaporizer
- Prepare the device & herb – Before using the device, you need to prepare so everything is ready to go. Reaching temperatures of up to 350 Celsius if the slightest thing is wrong you could be left with quite a horrible flavor or taste. First, charge the batteries and clean the device. Make sure nothing is left over from your last use. Use herb grinders to break your material.
- Loading the chamber – Open the heating chamber and fill with the ground herb. Do not pack the chamber too tight, but also not too loose. You can find instructions on how to do this in the user manual provided with the device.
- Turn on the vape device – Now the vape pen is packed and ready to go, all you need to do is heat the chamber. Follow the instructions and turn on the vaporizer. Once turned on, allow 30 seconds to one minute for the herb to heat up. An indicator light will tell you when the device is heated and ready to roll.
- Take a puff – One the device is heated the last thing to do is take a hit. Depending on the size of the chamber/temperature you may be able to get a couple of sessions from the device before re-loading. Once the vapor production drops off, that indicates that the herb is depleted.
- Cleaning up – When done vaping, it's important to maintain the device and keep it clean. Wait at least 30 minutes to allow the pen to cool down. Open up the device again and ensure any residue in the chamber is removed. This will keep the device in full working order and removes the risk of burning of combusting any dry herb.
How to find the best Dry Herb Vape Pen
The best vape must be made with the best components. Don’t cheat yourself. Look for a herbal vape that does not expose your expensive herb to metal coils. Mig Vapor ceramic heating technology is ultra-efficient, flavorful, and avoids burning. In addition, we use the best battery components combined with the finest microprocessor technology to give you total and precise control.
- Don’t mix up concentrate vaporizers or dab pens with vaporizers for dry herb. Herbs and waxes require specific devices.
Quality is the most important factor. Once you establish quality standards, then look at your other options. Finding the best portable vaporizer kit depends on your personal preference. Do you want a small vaporizer that can be easily concealed? Do you want a stiff draw resistance? A large vaporizer? Temperature control? You can find all of those options here at Mig Vapor.
Once you've found your preferred strain/type of dry herb you'll want to try different combinations when vaporizing it. Different types of dry herb respond uniquely to different temperature settings. Experiment with different temperatures and quantities until you find your perfect balance. There may be times you want more mellow sessions vs times you want some immediate and powerful sessions.
Additionally, you'll want to look at the features that the specific device has to offer you. Find out what is more important to you, would you prefer a larger chamber, or are a better vapor production and flavor more important? Do you want a big desktop vaporizer? Here are the most important features you'll want to look for in your device.
Herbal Vape Pen Features
- Vapor Production/Quality - Different quality heating chambers will provide different vapor production and quality. Some weed vape pens deliver a more dense vapor. Others bring out more flavor. You can control the vapor production and quality by vaping the herbs at different temperatures.
- Size of Chamber – The heating chamber comes in all sorts of sizes. Identifying the perfect size of a chamber for you is important. Not only will you be able to pack more herb into a chamber, but it will also change the way the dry herb is vaporized. A tighter packed chamber, will take a lot more heat to vaporize.
- Wattage / Temperature Compatibility – Each device will have specific compatibility and temperatures that it can reach. If you connect a dry herb atomizer to a standard vape mod, then you need to ensure you understand the wattage limits. Never go over the maximum wattage limit. Using a 510 connection there is a huge amount of customizability when it comes to the hardware you can put on your device. Although your battery/MOD may be able to reach 80W your heating coil may only be able to handle up to 40W. Usually, 15 watts will be enough to do the trick.
Herb Vape Pen Brands
There are dozens and dozens of dry herb vape pen brands. And they can be found everywhere from smoke shops next to the smoking accessories. In dispensaries next to the spoon pipes. And online. You will find the best deals online. Plus buying directly from the manufacturer cuts out the middle man, which saves you money.
Many of the vaporizer products sold in retail are generic brands from China. Avoid those. Stick with proven brands like Mig Vapor. Popular vaporizers include Davinci IQ, Davinci Miqro, Arizer Air, Pax, Magic Flight Box, Arizer Solo, Mini Pro, a bunch from Grenco Science and many more. The Crafty vaporizer from Storz & Bickel is great but comes in at almost $300. The real question is what is the best vaporizer for the best price. What if I told you about a precision temperature control vaporizer with a huge heating chamber and all-glass vapor path for under $100? It exists. We have it at Mig Vapor. It’s called Four.
When it comes down to it, finding the best dry herb vape pen for you depends on personal preference and budget. Check out our full selection. Mig Vapor offers a large selection of vapor pens and herb atomizer you can connect to a vape mod.
Why Choose Mig Vapor Dry Herb Vape Pens
Now that you have a better understanding of the features, hardware and functions that you can expect from a dry herb vape pen, you should be in a much better place to find your new portable dry herb vaporizer pen! Guess what else? Start looking right here! Because Mig Vapor has it all.
We have some of the best dry herb vape pens on the market. Including proprietary heating technology along with advanced features, functionality and market-leading hardware. Mig Vapor believes in total transparency when it comes to the hardware specifications of our devices. We make them user-friendly. Great for even the most basic users. We have a large online vaporizer store offering mod kits, dab rigs, wax vaporizers, oil pens, vape pens of all types and categories.
Along with the transparency of Mig Vapors products, we also have an extremely helpful customer service team. Call us during business hours to answer any questions. That counts as yet another advantage of buying directly from a US-based vaping company.
Here are some of the best dry herb vape pens from Mig Vapor, in no particular order:
- Khan Dry Herb Vaporizer– Considered one of the best portable dry herb vape pens on the market. The Khan has a massive herb chamber, beautiful design, incredible airflow, and precise temperature control. An all-glass vapor path delivers pure flavor. Try with the glass bubbler attachment.
- The New Four - The best vaporizer for under $100. Four also has the all-glass vapor path. Five preset temperatures to choose from. Holds a full 1 gram of herbal materials. A portable vape with an awesome 2500 mAh polymer battery.
- Black Sub Herb Dry Herb Tank – The Black Sub Herb is available for only $42.95. We pioneered vape tanks for vaping herb. This is one of the stealthiest tanks on the market. Groundbreaking technology such as a new gold plated 510 connector, adjusted airflow, and a large heating chamber. Instantly converts any vape mod kit into a vaporizer.
Q: What is a dry herb vape pen?
A: Vape Pens are devices that heat up dry herbs into a vapor. The vapor contains the active ingredients of the herb. No smoke.
Q: Will This work with tobacco?
A: No, vaporizers are designed for herbs that still contain moisture, tobacco will not work well and is not recommended.
Q: Does the heating chamber have to be ceramic?
A: No, some devices have heating chambers with different materials. Although, ceramic is known to be the most effective.
Q: Do vaporizers use a replaceable battery?
A: No, vaporizers use builtin, rechargeable batteries. But the best quality devices use superior batteries and are backed up by warranty. For example, the Khan vaporizer has a five-year warranty.
Q: Can I use vape juice in a vaporizer for herbs?
A: No. Eliquid vapes, dab and wax vapes, and dry herbal vapes are all different and require a specific type of vape device. Also, oil vape pens like the Mig Vapor Canna Blast work only with oils, not e-liquids.